My First Website - Sitecube.com vs. Wix.com



Do you have a digital footprint on the World Wide Web? The best way to find out is to Google your name.

It was recommended to me that I continue my efforts to brand "me". So, after several tries I have completed building and have published my first personal website!

Initially I built one through Sitecube.com. There is a trial period of 10 days, then you must either buy a monthly plan or lose the site you built. There were over 300 templates to choose from, and it was fairly easy to build, but it had very limited editing ability. Text is pretty much the only thing you can edit. You can upload pics and videos but they all have to go in designated areas of one of their supplied templates. You can set up a personal domain webpage but there is a setup fee of $30 and then $14.75/mo for 5GB of bandwidth per month for a 5 page website.

Here is a recording of what I started to build through them.
http://www.screencast.com/t/OTAyMTEzZDYt

After comparing and reading reviews on a few other sites, I decided to go with my sister's suggestion of Wix.com.

With Wix there is no trial period...you create unlimited websites with unlimited pages on them for FREE and store them on their site. However, the websites will have advertising and promotional links embedded. These ads do not take away from the overall look of the site, but are not 100% professional looking for an online business. I'm thinking that for now this will be fine for me and my current budget since my site will be used mainly as a personal bio.

I like Wix better for obvious reasons. There is much more creative freedom than with Sitecube. I could create from one of their templates or do it completely from scratch. There are several different fonts available and special effects that you can use on fonts or pics. You can imbed video, social media widgets, and move things around wherever you want them. Once you finish it, publish it for free on the Wix.com server.

If I decide to get my own personal domain, Wix will provide it and host my website for $14.90/mo with unlimited bandwidth and with no set up fee. There would be no Wix ads on the site and I would have E-commerce ability. There are also lower plans of $9.90/mo for 1GB of bandwidth and $4.95/mo for 500MB of bandwidth.
I'm sure that I will be tweaking my site here and there but here's how it looks right now. Check it out... http://www.wix.com/sarmora/sarmora



Free website - Wix.com

1 comment: